Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

Selling Vinyl Records vs CDs for band recordings

Posted 2017-11-02T18:15:21.477Z (edited 2017-11-02T22:04:17.713Z) by Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

What do you think about pressing vinyl records (and including a download card?) instead of CDs for a working band that is making most of it's sales at live shows. Do people want the record because it's a cool object and will probably never open it, instead listening to the download, and do most people actually put a CD into a CD player. 

Has anyone done both? How do the sales compare?

Comments:

Replies

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2017-11-02T22:16:33.67Z
Steve M741
  • Teacher

I've done both, and it seems to me people are liking the vinyl plus download card option, but I've never had both at the same time so I can't say for sure. Here's an article on making your own records: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2013/08/05/artist/

It doesn't address the CD vs Record sales head on, but it pretty interesting...

Real records are just cooler. 

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2017-11-17T00:16:19.450Z
Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

Probably a silly idea, but what about loading up cheap flash drives to sell at shows? I looked at disc makers, and they will pre load files onto flash drives. The don't mention at all using them inplace of CDs though. I think lots more people have flash drives than CD players...maybe the download card is just too cost effective.

Comments:

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2017-11-02T18:15:21.477Z
  • 2017-12-14T17:48:37.390Z
  • 2017-11-02T22:04:17.713Z

• Community Public Forum

• Band,Recording

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Default Browser 0.0) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.