Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

Buying Piano advice?

Asked 2016-06-10T08:31:06.560Z by Gustavo W11

I'm hoping to buy a piano for my daughter( I'd love to screw around with it a bit myself) who has been taking lessons for a while on a kind of cheap keyboard. I thought it would be easy to just go out and buy a used piano, but after looking around a bit, and hearing some horror stories from my mother in-law about bad pianos, I think I should know a bit more first. we're looking for an upright probably, but we do have the room for a grand if the price is right. How do I go about buying a piano?

Comments:

• I have had great success with finding piano's on things like craigslist and Kijiji. People are often giving pianos away that are in excellent condition and require only a tuning. Check to make sure that all the keys are there and that there aren't any dead notes. Play them all to make sure you get a sound for every key. Play the keys with a slight pressure building into strong pressure to make sure that you get a range of volume and you are good to go. Happy shopping!Pianote 2018-01-05T19:29:37.410Z

3 Answers

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2016-06-10T19:32:38.253Z
Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

Buying a piano can be a pretty big deal, There is a great book worth reading before you invest. 

https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Book-Buying-Owning-Used/dp/1929145012?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

It's been a couple years since I read it, but it was worth the time before we bought our upright.

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2017-11-02T08:59:05.803Z
Toni S11

For people who are into playing music the internet can be a very good place to buy both new and used instruments that can suit a number of budgets. Every type of instrument can easily be found online and also there are always a number of potential music store (https://plus.google.com/102642981778688407461 ) you can use to buy from. Musical instrument rent and repair stores today are almost superstores. They host several kinds of musical instruments that can be chosen by brand name, by the make, or by the price.

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2018-05-24T23:39:29.677Z (edited 2018-05-24T23:40:52.373Z)
Jared L1

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​I've been taking a lot of piano lessons and I've been wondering this too 

Comments:

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2016-06-10T08:31:06.560Z
  • 2018-05-24T23:39:29.703Z

• Community Public Forum

• Piano

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Default Browser 0.0) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.