Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

What does it take to be a piano tuner?

Asked 2014-06-11T17:57:58.0Z by Steve M741
  • Teacher

When I was a kid, my mom used to get her piano tuned every 6 months or so by this very serious older gentleman who would spend several hours painstakingly tuning and cleaning the piano, and doing general maintenance. It seemed like a very skilled craft that probably took years to cultivate. Not long ago I was at a friends house and she was having her piano tuned. A young guy with a laptop tuner came in, spent 10-15 minutes tweaking the tuners, and was done. Is this normal? Can anyone with an electronic tuner just tune a piano like you would tune a guitar? What does it take to be a professional piano tuner these days? 

Comments:

1 Answer

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2014-06-13T17:47:35.0Z
Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I don't know a ton about it, but i think your experience as a kid was pretty much the norm. The guy with the laptop was either scam artist, or more likely, a friend or musician she knew who just figured that since he could tune a guitar, why not a piano. 

http://www.musiclessons.com/youtube/share/?v=PprmkSJY-J4

Comments:

• My mom had an old piano that she let me try to tune once...It was pretty fun actually. I bought a tool for turning the tuners and tuned it up with a guitar tuner. I got it kinda close. Probably better than before I started, but you'd never say it was in great tune.Stan W 2014-06-13T19:00:44.0Z

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2014-06-11T17:57:58.0Z
  • 2014-06-13T19:00:44.0Z

• Community Public Forum

• Piano

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Default Browser 0.0) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.