Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

Why Does My Guitar Always Go Out Of Tune?

Asked 2014-04-28T20:39:28.0Z by Ghost R1,526
  • V.I.P.

One of my guitars always goes out of tune, while others stay in tune really well... What could be causing this?

Comments:

4 Answers

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2014-04-29T17:24:32.0Z
DeadGuy1,206
  • Early Adopter

Sounds like your guitar might need to be intonated. Try this: tune your open strings to a tuner, then check the tuning at the 12th fret. If the pitches at the 12th fret are out you need to adjust the intonation.  All guitarists should be able to do this....here's a video on how to do it.

https://www.musiclessons.com/youtube/share/?v=N1QYbpAx-pE

Comments:

• thanks, but no...I know about intonation, and it's more of a strings going out of tune on one particular guitar.Ghost R 2014-04-29T17:32:21.0Z
Reply — Posted 2014-04-29T17:51:22.0Z (edited 2014-05-05T13:10:56.0Z)
Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

If the intonation is on, it could be one of these things:

Poor quality tuning machines could be slipping. Probably not the problem unless the guitar is total garbage.

Changes in temperature and or humidity. Some guitars necks are slightly more susceptible to changes than others.

Improperly cut nut. If the string slots in the nut are a bit tight, a string can bind in the slot. You will usually hear a "ping" when the string suddenly moves in the slot as you are tuning. A repairman can fix this in minutes. you can also add a bit of graphite to the nut to help the strings move smoothly. ( I use a pencil...just draw a bit in the slots)

String post slippage. Depending on how you attach your strings to the posts, they could be slipping there as you tune them. Here's a good video of how to properly change strings to avoid slipping:

https://www.musiclessons.com/youtube/share/?v=4CtqfHmssx8

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2014-05-05T11:38:42.0Z
Keely P1

this happens all the time to me and it may be where you keep knocking the end of the guitar and the tuning pegs are moving slightly.

Comments:

• Yes, good one, especially if you are leaning your guitar against the wall or a table where the pegs are apt to be bumped.Jeff E 2014-05-05T13:13:45.0Z
Reply — Posted 2017-07-21T10:12:19.520Z
Megha Y1

If you have a problem with your guitar you can change it. Buy best sounding acoustic guitar with best quality.If you want to know about more branded and  stylish Acoustic guitars which is used by great musician visit this site.

http://buyacousticguitaronline.com/

Comments:

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2014-04-28T20:39:28.0Z
  • 2017-07-21T10:12:19.550Z

• Community Public Forum

• Guitar,Guitar Repair

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Default Browser 0.0) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.