Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

What's the best volume pedal to get for a guitar?

Posted 2014-02-05T05:40:34.0Z (edited 2014-02-05T05:40:59.0Z) by JP13,143
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I'm looking at the Boss FV-500H Volume Pedal - High Impedence or an Ernie Ball. The problem is that I use both active and passive pickups (mostly active pickups), and there seems to be a difference in the pedal I would get. Can't I just get one pedal for all my guitars? I also hear that Goodrich makes a good volume pedal, but are more expensive. Does it really matter what pedal I get, or are they all pretty good?

Comments:

Replies

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2014-02-05T18:04:07.0Z
Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I've used various Ernie Ball volume pedals forever. I love the solid aluminum housing, and I prefer the throw of the pedal to any other I've tried. That being said, they break down pretty quickly. The string inside can break, and I've replaced the string numerous times, but never gotten it to work quite as well as before it broke. I'm currently using a Goodrich volume pedal, and it sounds great, and seems solid. I don't really like the throw on it, it seems narrow. It's also difficult to see how far it's engaged, so I have forgotten that it's only partially engaged and hit a boost pedal for extra volume, when really I just needed to turn up the pedal. There also seems to be like a notch at the top where the volume jumps. I'm not sure if it's just this pedal or not, but the pedal steel player I'm borrowing it from says that its a feature of the pedal. 

If you want the real scoop on volume pedals, check out pedal steel players take on them...They seem to be really into their volume pedals. Our pedal steel player just bought some new pedal that costs over $500, and he says it's worth every penny. 

I don't really know anything about using active pickups with a volume pedal...

Comments:

• Did you know you can buy a little kit to fix the string on the Ernie Ball pedals? http://www.guitarstringwarehouse.com/strings/Ernie-Ball-VP-JR-Cord-Spring-Kit.aspxJP 2014-02-05T20:00:10.0Z
  • I've replaced the string numerous times...Jeff E 2014-02-05T20:48:50.0Z
Reply — Posted 2014-02-05T20:01:41.0Z
JP13,143
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I just found this Ernie Ball mod pedal:

http://thru-tone.com/Ernie_Ball_Mod.html

Comments:

• Have you made a decision on your volume pedal?Jeff E 2014-05-28T17:06:06.0Z
  • Yes, I want to purchase the one in the link (above), and apparently I'm on "the list." I think the dude makes them in his house and maybe has other stuff going on, so his production isn't really up to speed. Than ks for the reminder, I'm going to email him again.JP 2014-05-28T17:12:01.0Z

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2014-02-05T05:40:34.0Z
  • 2014-05-28T17:12:01.0Z
  • 2014-02-05T05:40:59.0Z

• Community Public Forum

• Guitar,Volume Pedal

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Unknown) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.