Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

Ewan Dobson And Albert Lee. The Cascading Delay Trick.

Posted 2014-01-09T21:23:38.0Z (edited 2014-01-09T21:27:41.0Z) by Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

We recently posted a video of the day showing Ewan Dobson playing a song on the guitar that is truly unbelievable. While his use of this effect is unique, the trick behind it has a long history, particularly in country music.  The great country guitarist Albert Lee is the artist probably most often associated with this trick. 

Here's a cool interview with Albert where he talks about it:

https://www.musiclessons.com/youtube/share.cfm?v=QNeDIYXTJEY&t=Albert%20Lee%20interviewed%20on%20Musicians%20Radio

This trick has been used by many guitarists to produce some very memorable solos. Check out Elton John's guitarist John Jorgensen's solo with the Helecasters on The Orange Bolssom Special:

https://www.musiclessons.com/youtube/share.cfm?v=snS4u6K5NbY&t=2012%20Guitar%20Geek%20Festival%20-%20Day%202%20The%20Hellecasters%20Orange%20Blossom%20Special.AVI

The trick to this technique is using a very specific delay setting with a specific tempo.

First set the delay so it produces only 1 repeat. On many pedals this might mean dialing the feedback to 0%. Next set it so that the volume of the 1 repeat is equal to the plucked note. This might be setting "delay" to 100%.  Now we need to do just a little math to set the rate.  Divide the tempo of the song by 45 and that equals the rate in seconds. As an example, if your tempo is 120,  divide 45 by 120 and your rate is 0.375 seconds or 375 milliseconds. This is of course easiest with a delay unit that allows you to set your rate in milliseconds, but once you have the sound in your head you can use a pedal without this and learn to estimate. This is one technique where a metronome or drum machine is critical. If your tempo starts to drift at all, the delayed notes won't line up, and you'll have a mess!

Have fun! 

Comments:

• Is there a way to tap the tempo? My delay pedal only has dials and I'm not able to follow a pre-defined tempo.JP 2014-02-15T04:24:18.0Z
  • That's a tough one...If you are playing by your self without a metronome or drum machine you can just learn to "feel it" and play along with the the delay setting. I should add that if you are using the above method with a live drummer, they will need to be playing to a click track, or any variation on their part will cause your delay setting to get out of sync.Jeff E 2014-02-20T18:05:38.0Z

Be The First To Reply

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2014-01-09T21:23:38.0Z
  • 2014-02-20T18:05:38.0Z
  • 2014-01-09T21:27:41.0Z

• Community Public Forum

• Albert Lee,Delay,Ewan Dobson,Guitar

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Unknown) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.