Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

What's causing the strange crackle from my Les Paul?

Asked 2013-12-19T21:49:02.0Z by Steve M741
  • Teacher

Can anyone help me out here? When my Les Paul slides back and forth against my shirt it produces a pretty loud crackle like static electricity? Any Ideas what causes this, and what can I do to solve the problem?

Comments:

1 Answer

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2014-06-17T19:38:56.0Z
Jack H71

Chances are, your guitar may not be grounded correctly. Usually, and in most guitars, the bridge is grounded to the electronics package. Any static buildup would be routed to the ground. If your guitar is not grounded correctly, static could cause what you are experiencing. Another way to help curb static is through the use of a humidifier in your home.

Comments:

• Thanks Jack! Have you ever heard of the culprit being the type of finish? I've heard that static can build up on the finish, and then discharge at the pickups causing the crackle?Steve M 2014-06-23T18:42:16.0Z

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2013-12-19T21:49:02.0Z
  • 2014-06-23T19:11:10.0Z

• Community Public Forum

• Guitar,Guitar Repair,Les Paul (Gibson Electric Guitar),Pickups

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Default Browser 0.0) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.