Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

How to practice more

Asked 2013-10-02T00:06:16.0Z by Mac M11,188
  • V.I.P.

I have an 11 year old son and we recently bought him a drum kit.  He has had a few lessons, but unfortunately, he doesnt practice very much.  Any suggestions to get him to practice more?

Comments:

3 Answers

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2013-10-03T02:03:06.0Z (edited 2013-10-03T02:03:51.0Z)
Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

The best way to get him to practice more is by getting him to WANT to practice more. If you force him to practice and he dosen't like it, he is never going to really progress beyond a certain point. Make sure he likes his teacher. Take him to concerts. Make sure he has exposure to great music, not just what YOU like. Make sure his practice area is inviting and comfortable, but free from distractions like TV. 

Most importantly, lie to him and tell him that the drummer gets the most chicks. 

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2013-10-22T16:20:14.0Z (edited 2013-10-22T16:20:43.0Z)
JP13,143
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I began guitar lessons in 2nd grade. Until high school, it was required that I play my instrument 1/2 hr. per day. I had to study the lesson plan that way specified by my teacher. There were definitely times when I didn't want to, and I don't think I ever really progressed that much. When I got to high school I quit. During that time, my friends who did play music kicked ass and got really good. By my senior year, I picked up the guitar again and never put it down. I did most of my learning on my own in college/post college.

I don't know exactly where I stand on this. My mom was the person who gave me music, and required me to play. I think she did this the only way she knew... she was a classically trained pianist and I think she was required to play.

I will be a dad soon and I want to give my child the gift of music. But I haven't figured out where I stand on this yet. I lean towards requiring my child to play each day, but making it more free form... letting them choose what they play and only encouraging them to follow their lesson plan. Kids loose interest fast, so it will be a challenge to see how to keep them engaged. I plan to be playing a lot of music at home, and will encourage group playing... the family jam sessions!

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2015-07-23T01:52:19.0Z
Todd P581
  • Teacher

This is a question I get a lot from parents.    The simplest answer is to help keep the passion alive by learning new concepts and taking time to get inspired!  

I have a free video that I send to all my new students that breaks down the 7 keys to lifelong practice success.   You can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOs3pUKDGhE

Comments:

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2013-10-02T00:06:16.0Z
  • 2015-07-23T01:52:19.0Z

• Community Public Forum

• Drum Kit

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Unknown) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.