Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

Online Guitar Teacher

Posted 2013-07-26T05:23:04.0Z by Fisch R1,090
  • Early Adopter

G’day

I am a guitar teacher running the following site http://www.theflamencogypsy.com/ 

I currently teach lessons online using skype. I would like to know if there are any other music teachers out there that are also teaching online lessons, and how you are going about doing it.

My plan is to record each lesson and then post it to a client portal for each individual student. As well as set homework and so forth, they will also be able to post any questions on their page.

Anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fisch

Comments:

• I do live skype with my students and upload any lessons plans or music they may need for the following week. Because I have a live lesson I can make sure their technique is improving and correct anything that needs correcting.Autumn B 2013-08-03T23:44:50.0Z
  • Thanks for the comment mate. Where do you upload your lesson plans. I pretty much upload them to my website, on a private page. It seems to work for now but I would love to have an individual wish list for my students. So they could look through a library of songs and techniques and pick out some they really want to work on.Fisch R 2013-08-04T04:19:39.0Z

Replies

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2013-07-26T17:16:57.0Z
JP13,143
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I looked at your site and I'm assuming you need to add the technology that will allow people to signup and access your lessons, is that correct? Are you building the site yourself, or do you have a developer helping you?

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2013-07-27T04:45:50.0Z
Fisch R1,090
  • Early Adopter

I am designing the site myself. I haven't yet added in a client portal but I'm currently testing a heap of video conferencing programs with a few students. Eventually I plan to have a heap of resources available for general public use. 

I'm interested to see how other music teachers are currently teaching online. 

Cheers Fisch

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2013-07-27T14:41:58.0Z
JP13,143
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I know a lot of people use Skype to video conference, but as far as the client portal stuff, I'm not familiar with any that work really well for hosting videos. Part of the problem is the bandwidth you'll use for videos, which isn't cheap. They also need to be hosted on a CDN to reduce the bandwidth usage and increase performance. It's a fairly complicated thing to put together.

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2013-08-01T20:14:00.0Z
Marty B.1,531
  • Early Adopter
  • Teacher

Howdy!

I teach via Skype, but I have a really simple one-on-one format.

I have MS Word open. As I'm delivering the lesson I type up what the next assignment is. We finish the lesson and I email the hard copy to the student. Since there is periodic latency on Skype connections, I often will switch to the telephone for jamming. :-)

Marty B.

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2013-08-04T03:45:30.0Z
Fisch R1,090
  • Early Adopter

Hey guys. Cheers for the input. 

Basically with videos I plan to host them on youtube. You can host them privately and then just embed the link in wordpress. 

As for a client portal, its just a private area on my site that students can access. All our posts are private and the students can up load pics and video. 

The only drama I have with skype is the echo cancellation which cuts one of us off when we play at the same time. Like you said, I have actually use skype just for video, turned the audio off and then called the student on the phone. Great result but less then ideal business solution. 

Comments:

• What's the latency like over the phone? good enough to play together?Jefe 2013-08-11T16:09:14.0Z
  • Good to go over the phone. But skype is pretty average cause of that echo cancellation thing it does. Thinking about skype for video and something else for audio. Any ideas, phone would be ideal but expensive.Fisch R 2013-08-12T03:49:38.0Z

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2013-07-26T05:23:04.0Z
  • 2013-08-12T03:49:38.0Z

• Community Public Forum

• Guitar,Online Music Lessons,Teaching

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Unknown) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.