Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

What guitar should I buy?

Posted 2013-07-08T18:22:25.0Z by Jefe1,498
  • Early Adopter

I'm looking for a Telecaster or something like it. I need something versitile for a heavyish alt-country project that i can play slide on, and do some chickin pickin, ans well as some bluesier stuff...What do you all think? I'm tending towards a Fender Standard Telecaster, but what's the consensus?

Comments:

• What's your price range?Jeff E 2013-07-08T18:23:08.0Z

Replies

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2013-07-08T18:30:20.0Z
Fletcher J1,390
  • Early Adopter

Comments:

• Thanks. that's super helpful fletcher...you get -1 for that. (kinda funny though)Jefe 2013-07-08T18:32:01.0Z
  • Dang..you guys are tough.Fletcher J 2013-07-08T18:34:50.0Z
  • That's pretty cool and I mean SUPER COOOOL!JP 2013-09-07T02:33:40.0Z
  • Make sure you check out the iBand - why not?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh0VX74alwkJP 2013-09-07T02:44:02.0Z
Reply — Posted 2013-07-10T18:49:16.0Z
Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

If you are looking for an inexpensive Tele, Believe it or not people seem to be raving about the Squire CV teles. you can get one for 350-400 bucks. A bit on the high side for a squire, but cheap for a guitar in general. Look around for reviews. TDPRI is a great source for telecaster info. I had my neighbor who is just getting into guitar playing and it plays really nice. not a custom shop Fender for sure, but with just a bit of tweaking, you could gig with more than fine.....

Comments:

• cool. I've read about those, but haven't played one. I'm sort of thinking of something a bit more high end, but something like this might make a nice backup or living room tv watching guitar.Jefe 2013-07-10T18:54:00.0Z
Reply — Posted 2013-07-10T19:19:11.0Z
Jeff E13,506
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

How about going the parts-caster route? I haven't done it yet, but have been thinking about it for a while. One of the cool things about Teles it how modular they are. Get the neck you want, pickups and electronics, choose a finish for the body etc.

I love to look at the stuff done by MJT. 

http://mjtagedfinishes.com/

They do all kinds of finishing of necks and bodies. Their speciality is distressing the finishes. I wouldn't mind a nitro finish with the very light distressing, or their "closet classic" old school finish with out the dings and scratches.

I'd get neck with a 7.25 radius, a nitro body with light or no distressing,  brass vintage style but compensated saddles. wire the pickup selector backwards so it's in back. don't know what pickups...andy ideas? That's what I would do if I was in the market for a tele. I think maybe I am now.

here's an example of Super distressed...a bit over the top, but they do it well.

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2013-09-07T02:27:02.0Z
JP13,143
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I know a lot of people will completely disagree with me here, but I'm not a big fan of the Tele. I kinda want one and would love to learn how to feel good with one in my arms, but I've had bad experiences with them on stage. I play a Strat which has a nice, soft, curvey feel. The Tele on the other hand has a very square and rigid feel to me. I know some kick ass players who love them, but they don't play stock cheap Teles... maybe some of them do, but there are really nice Teles out there made by other companies, like G&L.

Comments:

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2013-07-08T18:22:25.0Z
  • 2013-09-07T02:44:54.0Z

• Community Public Forum

• Gear,Guitar,Telecaster

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Unknown) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.