Search MusicLessons.com:

Community Public Discussion

topic for discussion

What is the best music notation software?

Posted 2013-10-21T15:06:36.0Z by JP13,143
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I am curious what software people are using to create music notation. I have a Mac PowerBook.

Comments:

• The two most common are Finale and Sibelius. Depending on who you talk to you can easily get into a debate about which is better. I prefer Sibelius. Last time I attempted to use Finale, Sibelius was the simpler, more user-friendly of the two. You really had to sit down and take a lot of time with Finale for things that were just intuitive with Sibelius. On the flip-side, Finale has a smaller free version, Finale Notepad.Jeff B 2013-10-22T17:48:28.0Z

Replies

Date | Votes
Reply — Posted 2013-10-22T19:21:20.0Z
Fletcher J1,390
  • Early Adopter

The the industry standards are either Sibelius or Finale for serious transcriptionists. Finale goes for $450 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Finale12/ and Sibelius is $480 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sib7/. I downloaded the Finale Notepad once, to make a couple of quick charts, and couldn't figure out how to use it (only gave it maybe 10 minutes) and did it by hand. I've been using guitar pro and like it pretty well. It has many of the same basic features as the others, but only 50 bucks or so.  I guess it really depends on what you are going to do with the software. 

Comments:

Reply — Posted 2013-10-22T19:39:33.0Z
JP13,143
  • V.I.P.
  • Teacher

I just checked out NoteFlight and it seems pretty sweet. Has anyone used it?

http://www.noteflight.com

Comments:

• FYI, NoteFlight is an online notation editor that you can use right from your browser. It's free for non-commercial use, and there's a pro version called Crescendo, for $49/year or $7.95/month.JP 2013-11-01T06:59:26.0Z
Reply — Posted 2014-03-17T16:17:29.0Z (edited 2014-03-17T16:18:19.0Z)
Bengt L11

www.scorecloud.com

Hi, I would really recommend ScoreCloud Studio.

Works incredibly good with a midi keyboard and is really easy to use!

:-)

Bengt

Comments:

• i'm checking that out now...Jeff E 2014-03-20T00:02:19.0Z

This is a public discussion forum. Any member can post a reply or a comment.

Discuss Music

Community Public Forum

This public discussion forum is being moderated by MusicLessons.com.

You are not subscribed.

About This Discussion

• 2013-10-21T15:06:36.0Z
  • 2014-03-20T00:02:19.0Z

• Community Public Forum

• Music Notation

Awesome Videos

Wednesday February 28, 2018

A wonderful Acapella Tribute to Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved

What an amazing to watch, beautiful tribute to Bob! This awesome a capella version of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' was made by Israeli musicians in honor of what would have been the late Marley's 70th Birthday. - Open Video

Your message was sent!

Your browser (Default Browser 0.0) is out of date

Because MusicLessons.com uses current browser technology to run this site, you may encounter some problems. We suggest you update your browser.

Ignore This Message | About My Browser | Help Me Update

The tag was not found in our tag library.

Earn 20 points if the tag is accepted into our public tag library for everyone to use. You can start using it now by submitting this form.

Only suggest tags that you think are useful for searching and are relevant to the subject of music.

Important: If your suggestion is considered to be offensive or SPAM, you will lose points and/or be prevented from doing anything on this site.